Disclaimer: The medical, fitness, psychological, mindset, lifestyle, and nutritional information provided on this website and through any materials, downloads, videos, webinars, podcasts, or emails is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical/fitness/nutritional advice, diagnoses, or treatment. Always seek the help of your physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist, certified trainer, or dietitian with any questions regarding starting any new programs or treatments, or stopping any current programs or treatments. This website is for information purposes only, and the creators and editors, including Stephan Spencer, accept no liability for any injury or illness arising out of the use of the material contained herein, and make no warranty, express or implied, with respect to the contents of this website and affiliated materials.
This Week’s Guest:
Michael Morelli is the founder of Morellifit, a health and wellness organization that has created a line of nutritional supplements and fitness programs, including HIIT MAX, which is all about high intensity interval training. After hitting rock bottom and going through a personal transformation, he sought out to learn from the best in the industry, completing 5 fitness certifications in under 6 months. Combining that knowledge with real world training, Michael has helped to change thousands of lives through proper fitness and nutrition.
Going through a personal transformation is never easy, but Michael Morelli makes it simple by taking the guesswork out of becoming healthier. After going through his own success story, he turned the negative experience of divorce and bankruptcy into earning six figures in one month while helping others to combat obesity.
- Why 15-20 minutes of HIIT burns more fat than an hour or more of walking, or even jogging.
- Eating foods in their natural state, and the diets that actually work.
- Going on a spiritual journey to heal your soul and change your mindset.
- How to become more aware, so that you can control and change bad habits.
Here’s what I learned:
Michael’s Journey Through the Trenches
- Michael and his companies have a combined following of just over four million followers on instagram, and a network of about five million across all the platforms-but this has just been in the past few years.
- Three years ago, he was at rock bottom.
- He was caught up in drug abuse and multiple women in the bar business, which led to a marriage that ended up in divorce in the same month.
- While going through his divorce, he also went through bankruptcy.
- At that point, he was 185 pounds at 5’7” with 25% body fat, moving out of his wife’s place into an apartment.
- He realized that he couldn’t carry two bags of groceries up two flights of stairs without being winded, and felt like he had to make a change.
- His friend gave him a bible with the reading schedule that led to a spiritual journey which really awakened him to understanding that he was in a bad place.
- He started reading books and looking into the Paleo diet.
- Paleo comes from the Paleolithic era and how they ate, and they were in good health.
- He started stringing together workout circuits in his apartment.
- Over the next 113 days, he lost 27 pounds, dropping down to about 8% total body fat.
- He started reading books and looking into the Paleo diet.
- The very first workout video he posted was an ab routine, he just started creating content, and then got certified as a fitness professional.
- When instagram got popular, he hit a trend and started to gain new followers and even more momentum.
- Six months later, he launched his first product, after giving away tons of free content, including videos and PDF guides.
- In the first month, they did $10,000 in sales and wound up doing hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales every single month after that.
Michael’s HIIT MAX Live Tour
- Michael is going on tour with his product, HIIT MAX Live.
- The purpose of the tour is to invite people who want to exercise, he will put you through a workout live.
- He motivates people through an entire workout and then does autographs and a meet-and-greet afterwards.
- The second component is actually a HIIT MAX certification.
- Trainers around the world will have access to the training materials through a two day program, so they can train their clients using his workouts.
- Trainers will also learn how to market their business, which is something you don’t learn while getting a personal trainer certification.
The First Steps to Transforming Your Body
- Most people know that if you move more and eat whole foods from as close to nature as possible, you’re going to feel good and become healthier.
- The problem is that, there are a lot of different diets out there, and also we see trainers who work out 60-90 minutes a day and we feel like that’s necessary, then it becomes stressful.
- Michael’s workout program is only 15-20 minutes every other day with 30 minutes of hiking, biking, walking, jogging, and playing with your kids in the park in between those days.
- Committing to 15 minutes per day is much easier than a full hour or more.
- You can burn just as many, if not more, calories in the 15 minutes as you would by going on a walk or a jog, because of the ‘after burn effect’.
- When you’re working really hard at high intensities, your body goes into O2 debt-which is the heavy breathing that you experience.
- When that happens is post-workout, your body then tries to repay that O2 debt so you’re constantly burning calories over the next 24-36 hours.
- If you are on a treadmill going at four speed for an hour, once you get off, you stop burning those calories.
- You can do these workouts anywhere-at home, in your hotel room, you can go to a park or even follow the program in the gym.
- Michael’s client Bill is 51 years old, and he lost 48 pounds in 12 weeks.
- Another huge success story is Brian Gordon, who lost a total of 86 pounds in four months.
- They have had thousands of transformations.
The Quality of the Supplement Line, Primal Body
- Michael is passionate about finding the gaps in the industry and then filling them with high-quality products.
- Primal Body is 5-total ingredients.
- It’s grass-fed Whey Isolate sourced from cows that are in New Zealand.
- It’s just more bio-available, which means your body’s going to actually absorb it.
- The BCAA’s are sweetened with Stevia and Monk fruit, there are no artificial sweeteners, flavorings, or fillers.
- Many other companies with health shakes or supplements use soy and artificial flavoring and color, you’re not absorbing the protein because you’ve got all the fillers in it.
- Soy also acts as an amplifier or an intensifier for estrogen, which can cause hormone imbalances.
- Based on thousands of trials, what Michael has found is that people don’t know what to eat, when to eat, and how much.
- Custom Nutrition means that all nutrition should be personalized-you have to look at your goals first, which include measurements and activity level, your BMR and your TDEE.
- Michael can then create a plan around your wants, needs, and goals using the foods you like and leaving the food out that you dislike, and then creating a cheat meal every week.
- The cheat meal doesn’t ruin your diet, after looking at these numbers then they factor the reward meal into the program so that there is no guilt.
- They develop this custom meal plan and tell you what to eat, when to eat, and how much for 12 full weeks so there is no more guessing.
- Michael started with Paleo, and Paleo is just whole foods that are as close to nature as possible, but they generally recommend a carb cycle plan.
- With carb cycling, your body is not going to adapt to the conditions you impose on it.
- If you stick with the same 1,200-1,500 calories, you are going to eventually hit a plateau.
- When you shock your body by changing up your calories and carb intake, your metabolism never has an opportunity to adapt to the conditions, and you continue to lose fat.
- They also do vegan and vegetarian plans that will give you options such as quinoa, rice protein, and pea proteins.
Staying Aware of Your Health
- Becoming unhealthy or healthy all stems from awareness and understanding the ramifications of poor choices that leads to disease.
- If you keep saying ‘I don’t feel like working out’, all of a sudden, it becomes two weeks, three years, five years, etc, that you haven’t worked out.
- We should become self-aware to gain control of our mind, and then we can start making better choices.
- Habits trigger behavior, such as being stressed out, the trigger may be smoking a cigarette.
- If you change that trigger to going for a walk instead, you can condition your mind through self-awareness to take control.
- Meditation and journaling are two great options for becoming more aware.
- In the morning, Michael takes CoQ10, Vitamin C, Acetyl L-Carnitine, Ashok Ganda, and Ginkgo Biloba-they create a focus and an awareness that allows him to be clear-headed.
Grind, The Coffee Line
- Michael is a ‘coffee snob’ and spends 10-15 minutes in the morning grinding his beans and making sure it’s just right.
- He wants the absolute best, from the customer and user experience standpoint, to flavor and taste, and then from a nutritional sampling.
- His coffee is fair trade, meaning people are paid fair wages to yield the crop.
- It’s organic so it’s pesticide-free, they are the number one certified organic beans from Costa Rica.
- It’s a dark roast , and the energy that they give you is sustained, it’s lasting, there’s no crash, no jitters, and that’s largely because there are no pesticides inside the beans.
- The quality of caffeine is very important.
- Everyone wants fat-burners but the reality is, caffeine is the number one most underutilized fat-burner on the market in a pure form.
Michael’s Spiritual Journey
- For Michael, his journey has been about truth, getting information, growing, learning, and the experiences of life.
- It started with the bible and attending an online church every single weekend and that had a profound impact on him.
- That transpired into some meditation and yoga, and he also got an NLP certification, which is hypnosis and meditation.
- It’s been about continuing on and trying to get as much information as he possibly can to be the best that he can be.
- We’re not our body, we are the soul.
Links & Resources Mentioned
Morellifit on YouTube
Shaahin Cheyene on The Optimized Geek
Voice Memos App
The Untethered Soul
The Power of Now
Byron Katie on The Optimized Geek
Michael on instagram
Michael on Twitter
Michael on Snapchat
- The first step is to make small, positive changes. Just get moving in any way you can, whether that is a 15 minute HIIT workout, or going for a walk around your neighborhood.
- Work on changing habits that are holding you back from reaching your goals. Be aware of what you do in stressful situations, and try to create positive habits around those feelings.
- You don’t have to choose a one-size-fits-all diet to become healthier. Choose foods that are in their natural state, such as organic vegetables, fruits, and lean meats-or, use Custom Nutrition for a personalized plan.
Thank you for listening!
As always, thank you for tuning in. Please feel free to contact me or leave a comment. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it!