This Week’s Guest:
It can be hard to imagine a life in which you’re making money doing something you actually love. Most of us get bogged down by the daily grind of the nine-to-five. You know that you need to follow your passion, but getting started may sound daunting or even impossible. The first step, as you’ll learn today, is to start and develop a side hustle.
Nick Loper is an expert at helping people earn money outside of their day job. He’s here today to explore the possibility of starting a side hustle and to give it the attention it deserves. He’ll share his successful tactics, strategies and tools that have helped many people develop a side hustle without t completely sacrificing their work-life balance. Nick is an author, online entrepreneur, host of the Side Hustle Show podcast, and Chief Side Hustler at Side Hustle Nation.
Find Out More About Nick Here:
In This Episode:
- [02:05] – How can somebody with a full-time job augment their income with a side hustle without losing their job? In his answer, he discusses several tiers, starting with services like Uber and Lyft.
- [05:44] – Nick discusses getting into value-based pricing.
- [06:49] – The third tier is the e-commerce revolution, Nick reveals, and digs into the specifics.
- [10:10] – Nick and Stephan talk more about the downsides and risks of working with Fulfillment by Amazon.
- [12:21] – The fourth tier is the authority business model, which involves establishing yourself as an authority in a specific subject.
- [15:43] – Stephan does some of this fourth-tier work, he reveals. He then talks about his publisher and what the pitch process was like.
- [18:40] – Stephan thinks it’s business karma that when you share massive value, you’ll receive massive value in exchange. He gives a specific example to illustrate what he means.
- [21:21] – How do you incorporate these four tiers into your life so that you’re not in danger of losing your job and still have time for yourself and your family?
- [25:02] – We hear about the Three Lists of Freedom by Chris Ducker, as well as the value of finding a virtual assistant.
- [28:17] – Stephan talks about onboarding for virtual assistant positions, and describes his process, which involves his virtual assistant completing many tasks.
- [35:22] – We hear a story about Stephan’s process of finding his VA.
- [37:33] – Nick talks about what he does once he has a VA and is ready to take their tasks to the next level. Stephan then offers some advice based on what he did at the beginning of his career, including an entertaining story about taking risks.
- [42:34] – All of this goes back to being so good that you can’t be ignored, Nick points out.
- [44:36] – What are some standard operating procedures that have really made a difference in Nick’s business?
- [46:21] – Stephan raves about the value of checklists for the people who are working for you.
- [48:07] – Nick takes the opportunity to discuss any other kinds of processes or systems beyond just checklists that he uses.
- [50:26] – Is Nick nervous about his work on Facebook, in the sense that Facebook owns his community in a sense?
- [51:44] – Nick discusses the next steps for listeners who want to work with him or learn more about what he’s been saying.
- [52:41] – We hear about where the bulk of Nick’s own income comes from.
- [53:39] – Nick shares some final words of wisdom for listeners regarding the difference between people who have success at a side hustle and people who stay on the sidelines.
Links and Resources:
- Search Engine Watch
- Search Engine Land
- Tim Ferriss on the Optimized Geek
- Three Lists of Freedom
- Chris Ducker
- Carolyn Ketchum on Marketing Speak
- Cal Newport on the Optimized Geek
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You by Cal Newport
- Way We Do
- Process Street