Get into action! Download your FREE Checklist
Put the most important tips from this episode to work and start optimizing your life today! Get your free 10 Point Checklist for your next actionable steps.
Disclaimer: The medical, fitness, psychological, mindset, lifestyle, and nutritional information provided on this website and through any materials, downloads, videos, webinars, podcasts, or emails is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical/fitness/nutritional advice, diagnoses, or treatment. Always seek the help of your physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist, certified trainer, or dietitian with any questions regarding starting any new programs or treatments, or stopping any current programs or treatments. This website is for information purposes only, and the creators and editors, including Stephan Spencer, accept no liability for any injury or illness arising out of the use of the material contained herein, and make no warranty, express or implied, with respect to the contents of this website and affiliated materials.
This Week’s Guest:
Ken Dubner is an expert at hypnotherapy, hypnotism, and NLP or neuro linguistic programming. He is a speaker, a certified Master hypnotist, and an NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) Master practitioner. He is the CEO and founder of Mind Training Solutions, and was a comic for A&E. You can find Ken on Twitter @kendubner.
Hypnosis can alter your unconscious mind and promote healing. In this episode, Ken Dubner explains how hypnosis isn’t at all what you’ve seen in childhood cartoons-it’s life-changing and can open you up to new possibilities. We all have deep-rooted fears, some that even affect our daily lives. What if you could stop those fears that hold you back, creating a positive, happier future? You can, and Ken opens up to give us the healing techniques that have helped thousands of people.
- The real hypnosis–what it is, and how it works.
- Using the creative part of your brain to promote change.
- The techniques that you can use at home to shift your mindset.
- Real-life stories of how hypnosis has helped Ken and his clients.
Here’s What I Learned:
The Different Types of Hypnosis
- Hypnosis isn’t the on-stage act that you see at shows, where people are acting like animals.
- Ken uses two questions to define hypnosis.
- Question number one is: Does it promote trance?
- Question number two is: Does it promote an altered state in which somebody is accessing their creative mind?
- If you’ve ever done guided meditation, that is a version of hypnosis.
- Your brain is broken down into the conscious and unconscious mind.
- A conscious mind is a linear, logical part of your mind that thinks it’s making all the decisions based on the rational and logical reasons.
- The unconscious mind is an emotional, creative, non-linear part of your mind. It thinks all at once.
- The unconscious mind is the part that comes up with what you’re going to do and why you’re going to do it.
- As you get older, your conscious mind starts to take over, you start making a finer distinction between ‘good’ and ‘bad’, based on what you have learned in your life.
- For instance, if your mom tells you that you are worthless, that is set into your basic programming for the rest of your life.
- Until you change that deep programming in your unconscious mind, it will constantly get in your way-and that’s where hypnosis can help.
- Ken reframes the unconscious mind because once you change the self-definition, everything else changes about you.
- You’re framing the meaning of something, and Ken shows his clients that the meaning is different, and gives them an option that works better for them than the way they are doing it.
- Ken used to work the classic hypnotists’ jobs-phobias and smoking cessations.
- Now, he leans more towards life transformation.
- If someone came to him who was in a bad car accident and they are now scared to drive, their mind is telling them that driving a car is dangerous.
- You have to change the association back to something more positive and reframe it.
- If you reframe the car accident, it just becomes an event that happened that day, it allows your mind to let go of the belief that cars are forever dangerous.
The Gift of Healing
- Every weakness is a strength and every strength is a weakness.
- When you deal with your weaknesses, it makes you stronger.
- An example of healing comes from Ken’s own life.
- He had clinical depression and suicidal tendencies from the age of five.
- He knew that his mind worked differently-one day he was fine, and the next day he didn’t want to be alive.
- Because of that, he was fascinated with psychology and hypnosis.
- He went to school to work with the mentally-ill and began studying hypnosis and NLP.
- He’s now saved thousands of people’s lives that deal with depression.
- When you’ve survived something like that, and can now build on that, that strength is unbreakable.
Changing Your Subconscious
- It starts with critical faculty, which is the part of the conscious and unconscious that is the bridge. It’s there to look for things that support what you already believe and reject things that don’t.
- Your critical faculty is set on whatever you believe in deep down, it’s hard to change because it is a filter that reinforces what you already know.
- There are ways to change your beliefs and open the filter to allow new thoughts and beliefs.
- Repetition is one way to get past that filter.
- If you overload it with information, your critical faculty becomes overwhelmed and you are no longer questioning every individual thing.
- Another way you can get through it is music, poetry, imagery, storytelling-anything besides logic and reason.
- Ken recommends guided visualizations because the whole process of visualizing opens a critical moment.
- Confusion is another part of getting people out of that critical mindset-when they get confused and overwhelmed enough to reach the limit of their understanding.
Links & Resources Mentioned
- Be open! Hypnosis and change can’t happen unless you are open and willing to accept it. Step number one is allowing yourself to accept changes to your beliefs.
- Repetition is a great way to connect with your unconscious mind. Start using daily affirmations and guided meditation to relax and create a healing space.
- See a hypnotherapist for phobias, they can help you to get past your fears by reframing the experience in your mind.
Thank you for listening!
As always, thank you for tuning in. Please feel free to contact me or leave a comment. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it!