This Week’s Guest:
Elissa Fisher Harris is a certified corporate wellness coach, individual wellness coach and a brand educator in the wellness and natural products industry. She also served as interim CMO and VP of Communications for CellHealth Institute, an advanced stem-cell therapy technology company. She sits on the advisory board of Caligenix, a genetic-based health and wellness lifestyle company in Southern California.
To achieve optimal health, you have to find the right physical, mental, and emotional balance-even your mindset on success affects your well-being. Elissa Fisher Harris shares her insight on how we can make use of lesser known therapeutic approaches to become our best selves.
- What Impostor Syndrome is , who it affects, and how to overcome it.
- How environmental toxins affect your health, and how to get tested for toxins.
- The future of stem-cell therapy.
- Achieving the ideal work-life balance.
Here’s what I learned:
Where Elissa Came From
- For the first 12 years of her life, Elissa was homeless.
- Her mother was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, and her father was into drugs and alcohol.
- They lived in motels, shelters, and cars for most of her childhood.
- She had to figure out ways to enroll herself in school, in whatever town they would end up in.
- She had to learn quickly how to survive in an unstable environment, and also took care of her younger brother.
- Growing up fast shaped the way she thought about life and her future.
- She knew that she wanted to get out of that situation and eventually help other people.
- Eating from food banks or fast food was unhealthy for her body, but also emotionally unhealthy.
- At 13, her Aunt and Uncle took her in, and she started a whole new life.
- This change propelled her into learning more about physical, emotional, and environmental health.
- She was developing gluten and dairy allergies, with her body going into an autoimmune condition, but no one knew what was wrong with her.
- She turned to holistic health-after seeing a naturopath who dabbled in Chinese medicine, her life changed forever.
- She became a certified personal trainer and a nutritionist.
- Later on in life, she ended up losing two husbands to the same very rare cancer that only affects 10,000 people a year in the United States.
- The first experience was conventional, but the second time, they were much more open to doing integrative care, which prolonged his life.
- She got certified to do corporate wellness programs because she watched these men work themselves into a state of disease.
- She now has worked with cancer patients for ten years and created integrated cancer-care programs.
- Impostor Syndrome is when successful people have the feeling that their success has been an accident.
- They think they aren’t really good at what they do, they don’t have the skills, they are a fraud, and at some point, someone will expose them.
- It’s a fear that can paralyze people in their personal life as well as in their professional life.
- A lot of very famous and well-known people have admitted having this syndrome, such as Maya Angelou, Lee Iacocca, and Don Cheadle.
- Some people actually feel like the Imposter Syndrome is their talent because it’s the very thing that drives them to succeed, by working harder so others don’t find out they are a ‘fake’.
- However, it can consume people to the point where they hold themselves back from success.
Identifying Impostor Syndrome
- The first trait is that if you’re a successful person, even if you have a multi-billion dollar company, you always feel like you don’t deserve your success.
- The second one is, you are constantly worrying and in fear that you’re secretly not any good and people are going to figure you out.
- The third one is that you set unrealistic goals for yourself, and then when you don’t achieve them, you beat yourself up about it.
- Another significant trait, especially for women, is that they shy away from promotions, projects, and opportunities.
- They might feel more comfortable in their current skill set, because they are so afraid of moving beyond their comfort zone that they won’t allow themselves to advance.
- Another trait is dismissing success as luck or timing, and not giving yourself any credit.
- The last one is that you don’t enjoy your success-not only do you feel like you don’t deserve it, but you never really enjoy it.
How to Repattern Your Brain
- There has been scientific research about how happiness is actually a state of being that brings everything to us.
- Most people are conditioned to think, “When I have the job/the partner/all of these things, then I’ll be happy,” but really, it’s the opposite.
- When you’re already happy, those things will come to you much quicker through positive psychology.
- You can do exercises that repattern your brain over a 21-day period to have a predisposition to happiness.
- For 21 days, write down three things that you saw that day that made you happy.
- You need to write down three gratitudes.
- You need to exercise and you need to meditate.
- This will repattern your brain to a state of happiness because you’ll start noticing things around you that are positive instead of negative.
Overcoming Impostor Syndrome
- The first thing that you have to do is admit the behavior to yourself.
- When you admit your behavior, it lets go of the power that fear has over you.
- It also means being open to discussing it with people you trust, and you’ll be shocked by how many other people feel this way-you’ll suddenly feel like you have a tribe.
- Look to the present, keep looking forward, and don’t look back.
- Write down your accomplishments and keep them with you. Look at them on a regular basis because it re-patterns your brain.
- You’ll begin to love yourself and your accomplishments.
- The products that you use on your body and in your home are actually environmental toxins.
- Pollution and the environment is out of your control, but you can control what is within your own walls and what you put on and into your body.
- Your skin is the largest organ in the body and it’s permeable.
- Any shampoos, lotions, soaps, cleaning products, etc with harmful chemicals-they can pass a blood barrier into the bloodstream or can irritate the skin.
- It’s very harmful to your blood, heart, and liver.
- There was a study where they took the blood of newborn babies and at birth, and they found traces of 50,000 different chemicals in the blood system.
- That can tell you how much we absorb from our environment.
- It’s also not just about your body, but everything that you put on your body washes down the drain into the water and affects our entire food chain.
- A survey was done on ten water treatment plants in the United States.
- The water tests were done after it’s been treated, but in one of the water treatment plants, they found the equivalent of 400 Benadryl’s.
- We have a responsibility to ourselves, but also to the environment to make conscious choices about the products that we use.
- People can seek out an integrative healthcare professional to run blood panels and tests to find out their level of toxicity.
- Then, they can make specific programs with supplements that could help rid the body of toxins.
- You can get your gut biome tested with uBiome.
- Caligenix has a specialized lab that tests based on your DNA, they will give you a booklet that is everything that you should do for your health and well-being based on your DNA.
- It will include the kind of sleep, diet, and exercise that is best for you, and even how well you metabolize alcohol, chocolate or caffeine.
- Then, they can give you a program based on what that specific report is.
Stem-Cells and Stem-Cell Therapy
- Elissa worked with a company that created a supplement that was designed to better stem-cell health production or the production of stem cells.
- Your body cells replicate themselves, they die off and they replicate again, but everything comes from stem cells and you want to have the healthiest stem cells you possibly can.
- In Germany, researchers were using innovative stem-cell therapies, and they were using fetal stem cells from sheep.
- The idea about stem cells has a lot of controversy, with embryonic stem cells being the greatest controversy because they’re not specifically coded yet.
- They could morph into anything, from what you want them to become to fix a problem-or it could end up totally different.
- They were using injections of stem cells, along with other kinds of therapies, and they found that this actually helped a lot of their illnesses.
- Even your own stem cells are considered a drug by the FDA, and there’s a lot of issues around giving your own stem cells back to you.
- A lot of different medical groups are experimenting with taking stem cells out of bone marrow and injecting them into knee injuries or hip injuries, in place of surgery.
- If you get your wisdom teeth extracted, you can get the stem cells extracted from the wisdom teeth.
- When people save the umbilical cord stem cells from their child’s birth, that’s only usable up to a certain age and then at that point, you can’t use it anymore into your adult life.
- With your wisdom teeth, you can use those stem cells as an adult.
- What the stem cell collection companies are saying is that eventually, you’ll be able to use your own stem cells to fight off illness or even for rejuvenation and recovery.
- Elissa helps people create a more balanced life with her corporate wellness programs.
- We’re working harder than we ever have before, but we’re not necessarily working smarter.
- Salaried workers are working anywhere from 50-65 hours a week, and some even more.
- Scientific research has shown that if you don’t maintain a work-life balance, you’re at a greater risk for depression, heart disease, weight gain, and poor sleep.
- Divorce rates are high, and people aren’t finding quality time for their families.
- The number one thing people can do is unplug.
- Even if it’s for thirty minutes a day, put your phone on silent, close the computer, and go do something for you-for regenerating your own nervous system.
- We have laws in this country that are put in place so that people are supposed to get up and take breaks.
- The only group in this country that takes advantage of this break are people who smoke.
- Everyone needs to take a moment where they step away and reenergize, so they’ll feel better when they come back.
Links and Resources Mentioned
The Happiness Advantage
The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women by Dr. Valerie Young
The Blood Type Lifestyle Dr. D’Adamo
Cold Turkey App
Focus Booster App
Way of Life App
Sleep Cycle App
Stress Tracker App
Healthy Life Guru
- If you can’t pull yourself away from work or social media, use the Cold Turkey App-you can program all of your devices to lock you out of specific apps at specific times.
- Start training your brain to be happy. For the next 21 days, write down three things that make you happy, and three things that you are grateful for.
- Read labels on everything that you use, from shampoo to cleaning supplies. Only use natural products, and keep chemicals out of your home.
Thank you for listening!
As always, thank you for tuning in. Please feel free to contact me or leave a comment. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it!