This week’s guest:
Christopher Rugh is an entrepreneur with an irrepressible passion for business and life. He recently exited CustomTollFree.com, the nation’s leading vanity telephone number search firm, catering to thousands of companies and well-recognized brands. Chris was the mastermind behind the proprietary software program that instantaneously turned numbers into letters that even his industry competitors licensed.
Today, Chris focuses mainly on real estate investing. He is an angel investor and author of 1-800-Awesome: Tactics for Making $10,000 an Hour. In this episode, Chris joins Stephan to talk about leveraging and delegating, creating offshore teams and managing them without painful oversight, minimizing distractions, and more.
Connect with Christopher Rugh:
In this week’s episode:
- [04:02] – Christopher describes a system for outsourcing that works.
- [08:06] – Christopher gives an example of hiring 3 people to do one job and finding the best candidate.
- [09:36] – Christopher shares how to compare the quality of a candidate’s work: keep the same process and parameters, but differ the data.
- [11:25] – Is Upwork the right place for hiring someone full-time? Get Christopher’s top pick for filling full-time positions.
- [12:47] – Christopher talks about why it’s important to know the cultures of countries where you’re outsourcing. “Culture will affect how you manage your team.”
- [14:38] – Christopher provides his process for making sure that details aren’t missed.
- [17:26] – Christopher expresses his thoughts on Upwork’s doubled rates and supplies his process for dealing with it.
- [19:19] – Christopher conveys his thoughts on Craigslist and why having employees from the same country is beneficial.
- [21:35] – Christopher warns of the dangerous possibility of ignoring international labor laws.
- [22:31] – Christopher states the process for finding ghostwriters and what impact it might have on your SEO.
- [24:45] – Christopher advises not taking your outsourced help for granted and what mindset to avoid.
- [27:38] – Christopher communicates his tips for eliminating distractions: stop constant task-switching and decrease attention residue.
- [36:26] – Christopher gives his recommendation for a productive work and home environment.
- [39:06] – Christopher relates his experience of using AirBnb for a workspace. “It’s a great way to keep up creativity and happiness.”
- [40:20] – Christopher mentions the impact your mindset has on productivity. Stephan shares an example of how some people will get in the flow state on a flight, while others can only watch movies or sleep.
- [41:55] – Christopher addresses the practice of working with music and how his strengths and weaknesses come into play.
- [43:29] – Christopher talks about writing a book when you aren’t a writer. He wrote an outline and recorded his thoughts on his phone.
Links and Resources:
1-800-Awesome: Tactics for Making $10,000 an Hour
Getting Things Done